My professional focus is on education policy-politics in India, particularly at school and teacher education levels. I examine education policy and practice from a socio-political perspective. My doctoral research was an ethnographic study of a slum cluster and a state-run primary school in Delhi, India. This research examined how the state policy on education is played out in the margins of the urban metropolitan context. My subsequent professional and research experience is focussed on the linkages between teacher education policy and public school quality in India. My postdoctoral research frames teacher education as a special sub-set of higher education. It examines the rank advancement policies and publication networks among teacher education faculty in the US to draw policy inferences in a (US-India) comparative perspective. My methodological training is in ethnography, document analysis, and social networks analysis.
Selected Research Projects:
- Co-Investigator, Higher education promotion policy, academic productivity, publication strategies ...among teacher education faculty in India and U.S. Funded by the McKay School of Education Research Grants, Brigham Young University, USA.
- Need Assessment on the Demand for Tertiary education in NCT of Delhi, with Centre for Social Science Research Methods, AUD.
- Delhi Government School Project, SES, AUD, in collaboration with DoE Delhi Government and Ahvaan Trust, 2012 – 2014.
- Postgraduate: Education in India: Institutions, Systems and Structures; Curriculum Studies; Teacher Education; Education Research; School Ethnography
- Undergraduate: Child Rights
- Continuing Professional Development Courses for Educators: Teachers as Researchers
- MPhil (Development Practice) dissertation supervision in the area of education and development
- Doctoral (Education) coursework: Education Studies; Perspectives in Education
- Officer on Special Duty for teacher education programmes at SES, AUD, 2018-present
- Deputy Dean, Academic Governance, AUD, 2017-18
- Co-Coordinator, Academic Council, AUD, 2017-18
- Faculty Secretary, Decennial Review Committee, AUD, 2017-18
Selected Professional Activities:
- Faculty Exchange for teaching, Ludwigsburg University of Education, Germany, under the Erasmus+ Grant, in January 2018 and June 2019.
- Associate Editor, Indian Journal of Teacher Education [ISSN: 2349-6355], 2015 – 2016.
- Core Committee Member, The Forum for Deliberations on Education: A collaborative initiative hosted by the Centre for Policy Research, Delhi, India, 2015 – 2017.
- Worked with the National Council of Teacher Education (NCTE) in various capacities (Committee Member/Member Secretary) in the national regulatory reform process following the Supreme Court’s Justice Verma Commission on Teacher Education, 2013 – 2016.
- State-level dissemination of the NCTE’s 2-year MEd Curriculum Framework and Regulations (Norms and Standards), including orientation workshops for the academics [heads and deans, and teacher educators] from university departments and colleges of teacher education in Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan and Gujarat, February-March 2015.
- Member, course development and revision group, Diploma in Primary Education (DPE) and Diploma in Elementary Education (DElEd) programmes, Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU), India, 2011 – 2012.
- Member, invited expert group for development of “Improvements in quality through reform in assessments and evaluation of students in elementary school”, as a part of implementation of Children’s Right to Free and Compulsory Education Act 2009 (RtE), Sarva Shiksha Abhiyaan (SSA), Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), India, 2010 – 2011