Dr. Shivani Nag
Assistant Professor , School of Education Studies
- 2010-2015: Ph.D. in Educational Studies, from Jawaharlal Nehru University. Thesis title- ‘A Study of Socio-Cultural Inclusion of Children in Theories and Practices of Multilingual Education in India’.
- 2007-2009: M.Phil. in ‘Psychology of Education’ from Jawaharlal Nehru University. Thesis title- ‘Inclusion of Socio-Cultural Context in Education: An ethnography of a Digantar School’.
- 2004-2006: M.A. in Psychology from University of Delhi.
- 2001-2004: B.A. in Psychology (Hons.) from Lady Shri Ram College for Women, University of Delhi
- Assistant Professor, PG Department of Psychology, Ravenshaw University, Cuttack: January 2014- June 2016.
- Guest Faculty, Department of Psychology, Lady Shri Ram College for Women: July 2013- October 2013
- Research Officer (Multilingual Education Programme Development) in National Multilingual Resource Consortium (NMRC), UNICEF funded Project in Jawaharlal Nehru University: April 2009- October 2011.
My Zone / Area of Expertise
Critical & feminist Pedagogies; Inclusion, experience and participation of the marginalised in education; Linguistic diversity, linguistic human rights and multilingual-multicultural education; cultural psychology, and Qualitative Research Methods.
Understanding Children and Childhoods; Experience of Education: Immersed Reflections; Multilingual Education in Indian Context; Linguistic Diversity and Human Rights; Introduction to Educational Thought; Feminist Pedagogies; Qualitative Research Methods; Discourse Analysis and Understanding Educational Practice, and workshops on- Self Development; and Basic Research Skills and Training.
Membership of academic societies:
- Member of National Academy of Psychology (NAoP), India
- Member of Comparative Education Society of India (CESI)
- Convenor- Research Interest Group on - Methodologies and Methods in Educational Research (CESI).
- Awarded the Faculty prize for ‘Intellectual Excellence’ for the year 2003-2004 by Lady Shri Ram College for Women, University of Delhi.
- Awarded ‘Emerging Psychologist’ by National Academy of Psychology (NAOP), during the XXIVth Annual Conference of National Academy of Psychology (NAOP) held in IIFM-NITTR, Bhopal in 2014.
- Awarded Prof. Durganand Sinha Award for Best Doctoral Dissertation awarded by the National Academy of Psychology (NAoP), India, during the XVth Annual Convention of National Academy of Psychology in 2016.
- Selected for Inter-university teaching exchange as part of ERASMUS Plus mobility project to Ludwigsburg University of Education, Germany in June 2019.
- Invited speaker during the Twelfth session of the UN Forum on Minority Issues on the theme- ‘Public Policy Objectives for Education in Minority Languages’, held in Palais des Nations, Geneva, Switzerland, 28-29 November 2019.
- Dewan, H.; Nag, S; Kumar, M.; & Jain, M. (Eds) (2020). ‘अध्यापक, अध्यापन और अध्यापक शिक्षा : नीतियाँ, बहसें और अनुभव (Teacher, teaching and teacher education: Policies, debates and experiences). New Delhi: Vani Prakshan. ISBN:978-93-8956-354-2
- Nag, S., Dewan, H., & Kumar, M. (Eds) (2021): अध्यापन कर्म, अध्यापक की छवि व अस्मिता (Teaching work, teachers’ image and identity). New Delhi: Vani Prakshan. ISBN : 978-93-90678-54-9
Journal Publications & Book Chapters:
- Nag, Shivani (2022). Institutional Norms as Hindrance to Participation of Women as Members of Academic Community. In P. Sengupta (ed) Critical Sites of Inclusion in India’s Higher Education. Palgrave Macmillan (Springer Nature). DoI 10.1007/978-981-16-8256-8
- Navani, T. Manasi, & Nag, Shivani (2021). The emergent transition to remote learning online: A study of postgraduate education students’ experiences. Voices of Teachers and Teacher Educators, Vol. X (I), 16-29, https://ncert.nic.in/pdf/publication/journalsandperiodicals/vtte/July_Issue-2021.pdf
- Nag, Shivani (2021). कक्षा में बच्चों की भाषाओं को शामिल करने का महत्व तथा उसकी उपयुक्त प्रक्रिया (The significance of including children’s languages in the classroom and its appropriate process) . In S. Nag, H. Dewan and M. Kumar (Eds) अध्यापन कर्म, अध्यापक की छवि व अस्मिता (Teaching work, teachers’ image and identity). New Delhi: Vani Prakshan, 243- 259.
- Nag, Shivani (2019). Reflections of a teacher in becoming. In Honey Oberoi Vahali (Ed.) A Song Called Teaching: Ebbs and flows of experiential and empathetic pedagogies. New Delhi: Aakar Books, 105-110.
- Nag, Shivani (2019). Role of Linguistic Inclusion in Children’s Reading Comprehension in Classrooms. In Shailaja Menon, Akhila Pydah, Suchi Sinha and Harshita V. Das (Eds). Reading Comprehension: Early literacy initiative resource book 5. Hyderabad: Early Literacy Initiative, Tata Institute of Social Sciences, p.
- Nag, Shivani (2018). Significance of linguistic inclusion of children in classrooms. In Sanjay Gurunani (Ed.) Drishti: Concerns and challenges in primary education. Bageshwar: District Institute of Education and Training (DIET).
- Nag, Shivani (2018). Transformative potentials of multilingual educational models in Odisha, India. European Journal of Education Studies, Vol 4 (4). ISSN 2501 1111. Available at:
- Nag, Shivani (2017). Theoretical assumptions regarding the mind-culture-language relationship underlying models of multilingual education in India and their impact on resulting practices. Multilingualisms and Development (Selected Proceedings of the 11th Language & Development Conference, New Delhi, India, 2015), London: British Council , 131-150 - ISBN 978-0-86355-840-5
- Nag, Shivani (2014). Teachers’ experience of using tribal children’s language in classroom: A collaborative learning perspective. Educational Quest-- An International Journal of Education and Applied Social Sciences, 5(1), 41-50, Print ISSN : 0976-7258. Online ISSN : 2230-7311.
- Nag, Shivani (2014) एक तरफ़ा प्यार की अह्मन्यता: भारतीय सिनेमा में प्रेम का कुरूप चित्रण (The egotism in one sided love: The problematic portrayal of love in Indian Cinema) . In Joshi, R. (Ed). उमीद की निर्भयाएं (The Nirbhayas of Hope). New Delhi: Patrkaar Praxis.
- Nag, Shivani; Kiran (2013). The ‘M-TALL akhra’ initiative in Jharkhand: A brief report. Swara, Multilingual Education newsletter, Vol. 1 (8), 4-7. New Delhi: National Multilingual Resource Consortium.
- Mohanty, A.K., Panda, M., Nag, S., & Biswabandan, B. (2011). Does MLE work in Andhra Pradesh and Odisha? A longitudinal Study Report. Swara, Vol. 1 (6 & 7), 2-23. New Delhi: National Multilingual Resource Consortium.
- Nag, Shivani (2010). Book Review (Shalini Advani, Schooling the National Imagination: Education, English and the Indian Modern). History and Sociology of South Asia, Vol. 5 (1), 153-166. New Delhi: Sage Publications
Training Manuals/ Project Reports
- Nag, Shivani & Jha, Abhishweta (2017). Training Modules for Master Trainers, Anganwadi Workers, Supervisors & CDPOs for Mother Tongue Based Multilingual Early & Parent + Programme (Odisha). New Delhi: Centre for Early Childhood Care and Development (AUD) & Bhubaneswar: Bernard van Leer Information
- Panda, M.; Mohanty, A. K.; Nag, S.; Singh, K. & Biswabandan, B. (2012). Does MLE work in Andhra Pradesh and Odisha? A longitudinal Study Report- Phase II. New Delhi: National Multilingual Education Resource Consortium. http://www.nmrc-jnu.org/nmrc_img/longitudinal%20report%20draft.pdf )
Magazines, newspapers, portals
Nag, Shivani (2019). तालीम की लड़ाई: उच्च शिक्षा में सामाजिक बहिष्करण के विविध रूप. (The varied forms of exclusion in higher education: the struggle for education). Paathshaala, Vol. 3, 66-70
Nag, Shivani (2018). कक्षा में सी. सी. टी. वी. की जगह नहीं. (No place for CCTV in classrooms). Paathshaala, Vol. 1 (1), 9-12.
- Nag, Shivani (28 June 2018). The skew in Education. The Indian Express. https://indianexpress.com/article/opinion/columns/education-system-government-schools-in-india-higher-education-hrd-ministry-5236231/
- Nag, Shivani (22 October 2018). Role of linguistic inclusion in children’s comprehension in classroom. Early Literacy Initiative (TISS). http://eli.tiss.edu/role-of-linguistic-inclusion-in-childrens-comprehension-in-classrooms/
- Nag, Shivani (November 2015). The Problems In Decontextualizing Rituals Steeped In Patriarchy! Youth ki Awaaz. https://www.youthkiawaaz.com/2015/11/why-i-criticise-karvachauth/
- Nag, Shivani (March 2015). The Selective Amnesia of ‘India’s Daughter’ – What The Film Conveniently Ignores! Youth ki Awaaz. https://www.youthkiawaaz.com/2015/03/indias-daughter-bbc-documentary/
- Nag, Shivani (July 2015). बाल श्रम क़ानून में बदलाव से खतरे में पड़ा बचपन. (Childhood in danger due to changes in child-labour laws). Aadhi Zameen, p. 6-9.
- Nag, Shivani (Jan-Feb, 2015). सार्वजनिक स्थानों पर महिलाओं के हक की ओर बढ़ता एक कदम (A step towards women’s rights in public places). Review of ‘Why Loiter’ campaign. Aadhi Zameen, p. 15-16.
- Nag, Shivani (Nov-Dec, 2014). नैतिक पैहरेदारी बनाम महिलाओं की आजादी: विरोधाभास कहाँ? (Moral Policing vs Women’s Freedom: Where are the contradictions). Aadhi Zameen, p. 10-13.
- Nag, Shivani (3 August 2013). Unrequited love or simply ‘self love’? – Reflections in the wake of a campus tragedy at JNU. Kafila. https://kafila.online/2013/08/03/unrequited-love-or-simply-self-love-reflections-in-the-wake-of-a-campus-tragedy-at-jnu-shivani-nag/
Seminar / Conferences
International Seminars & Conferences
'Education, Language and Human Rights of the Minorities’. Invited speaker in an international webinar series on Debating challenges for minority protection, organised by Tom Lantos Institute and the Human Rights Consortium of the University of London, 25 June 2020.
‘Public Policy Objectives on Education in Minority Languages’. Invited speaker during the Twelfth session of the UN Forum on Minority Issues held on 28 and 29 November 2019 in Geneva.
- Impact of gendered norms in educational spaces on the emerging identity of female students as members of academic communities. Paper presented in the 15th European Congress of Psychology held in Amsterdam in July 2017.
- ‘Theoretical assumptions regarding mind-culture-language relationship underlying MLE models of Odisha and their impact on resulting practices’. Paper presented in the 11th International Language and Development Conference on the theme ‘Multilingualism & Development’, held in New Delhi in November 2015.
- ‘Inclusion of children’s home language in classrooms and the possibilities of transcending the transmission models of teaching’. Paper presented in the 4th International Conference on Language and Education, held in Bangkok, Thailand in November 2013
- ‘Inclusion of socio-cultural context in education and its impact on concept formation’. Paper presented in International Congress of Psychology (ICP) 2012, held in Cape Town, South Africa in July 2012
- ‘The role of teachers in using a child's linguistic resources as mediating tools in multilingual education classrooms’. Paper presented in 21st conference of the International Association for Cross-Cultural Psychology (IACCP) 2012, held in University of Stellenbosch, South Africa in July 2012
- ‘Inclusion of Socio-Cultural Context in Education: An ethnography of a Digantar School’. Paper presented in 8th Biennial Conference of the Asian Association of Social Psychology (AASP) held in IIT, New Delhi in 2009.
National Level Seminars & Conferences
- Role of facilitative pedagogic infrastructure and practices to strengthen inclusion of socially deprived in Higher Education. Paper presented in a conference titled- ‘Inclusive Pedagogy: Teaching and Learning Practices in Higher Education in India, organized in Ashoka University, Sonepat, on 26-27 March 2019.
- शिक्षण में बच्चों की भाषा और उनके सांस्कृतिक-सामाजिक परिवेश की भूमिका (The role of children’s language and their socio-cultural context in learning). Delivered the keynote address in a National Seminar on ‘Concern and challenges of Elementary Education’ organised by District Institute of Educational and Training (DIET), Bageshwar, Uttarakhand in December 2017.
- Multilingual education models in India and the possibilities of democratic classrooms. Paper presented in the National Conference on “Early Language and Literacy” organized by Centre for Early Childhood Education and Development, Ambedkar University Delhi in collaboration with the “Early Literacy Initiative”, Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Hyderabad at AUD in December 2017.
- Nag, Shivani (2017). कक्षा में बच्चों की भाषाओं को शामिल करने का महत्व और उसकी उपयुक्त प्रक्रिया (The importance of including children’s language in classrooms and its apt process). Paper presented in a National Seminar organized by AUD and APU- ‘स्कूली शिक्षा के बदलते परिदृश्य में अध्यापन कर्म की रूपरेखा’ (School Education and its changing landscape) held in AUD in May 2017.
- A study of socio-cultural inclusion of children in theories and practices of multilingual research in India. Paper based on doctoral thesis, presented in the Prof. Durganand Sinha Best Doctoral Dissertation Award Session during the XVth Annual Convention of National Academy of Psychology held in University of Allahabad in 2016.
- The role of theoretical assumptions regarding mind-culture-language relationship in enabling socio-culturally inclusive pedagogy in different models of multilingual education programmes’. Paper presented in the ‘XXIVth Annual Convention of National Academy of Psychology (NAOP) held in IIFM-NITTR, Bhopal in 2014.
- ‘Examining the transformative potentials of models of multilingual education in Odisha’. Paper presented in the ‘Emerging Psychologist Session, during the ‘XXIVth Annual Convention of National Academy of Psychology (NAOP) held in IIFM-NITTR, Bhopal in 2014.
- ‘Multilingual Education Research in India’. Paper presented in a National Conference-“Whither MLE? Rethinking Multilingual Education in the 21st Century”, organized by NMRC in Jawaharlal Nehru University from 26-28 November 2013.
- ‘Does MLE work in Andhra Pradesh & Odisha? A longitudinal study’. Paper presented during the International Meet & Strategy Dialogue on Mother Tongue based Multilingual Education, held in Central Institute of Indian Languages (CIIL), Mysore in September 2011.
- ‘MLE Programme in India: A promise partially redeemed’. Paper presented in a symposium titled ‘Multilingual Education: A framework for all schools’ in the XXth Annual Convention of National Academy of Psychology (NAOP) held in JNU, New Delhi in 2010.
- ‘Teacher- A Subject or a Tool in National Curriculum Framework (2005)’. Paper presented in a symposium titled ‘At the Edge of Cognition’ in the XVIIIth Annual Convention of National Academy of Psychology (NAOP) held in IIT, Guwahati in 2008.
- Project title: Training Module for ‘Mother Tongue based Early Leaning & Parent Plus (MTELP)’.
- This programme was initiated by State Govt. of Odisha (India). It was funded by Bernard van Leer Foundation (BvLF) (Budget- Rs. 38,52,800).
- The project involved a baseline assessment of functioning of 7078 Anganwadi Centres in the state of Odisha and preparation of training modules for Anganwadi Workers, Child Development Project Officers and Supervisors involved in the Integrated Child Development Scheme (ICDS) run by the Ministry of Women and Child Development. The first batch of master trainers were trained in April 2017 and the finalized modules were submitted for printing in June 2017.