Ms. Manasi Thapliyal Navani
Assistant Professor , School of Education Studies
- MPhil (Education), University of Delhi. (2010). Title of MPhil dissertation: The idea of scientific temper and science education: An exploratory study of ‘people’s science’ discourse in India. Department of Education, University of Delhi (2010).
- M.Ed. (2006) and B.Ed. (2005), University of Delhi
- MSc (Physics) (2004), University of Delhi
- BSc Honours (Physics) (2002), Miranda House College, University of Delhi
- Research Associate, Ambedkar University Delhi (AUD), August 2009-March 2011.
- Project Associate, UK-India Education and Research Initiative (UKIERI), In-Service Teacher Training Project on introducing the processes of Mentoring as a tool for Professional Development of teachers in Delhi Schools (MINDS), Department of Education, University of Delhi, October 2008-July 2009.
- Guest Faculty, Department of Education, University of Delhi, December 2008-March 2009.
- Guest Faculty, Department of Educational Studies, Jamia Milia Islamia, Delhi (2008).
- Guest Faculty, Miranda House College, University of Delhi, November 2007- March 2008.
- Research Assistant on University Grants Commission project on Quality of Teaching and Research in Higher Education, University of Delhi, June 2006 to October 2006.
My Zone / Area of Expertise
My doctoral work, in the domain of sociology of higher education, engages with academic reforms and dynamics of change in universities through a case study of University of Delhi. My research interests include educational reforms: policy and practice; educational leadership and institutional change; academic cultures; gender and education; and science education.
- University Gold Medal, M.Ed., University of Delhi, 2006.
- UGC, Junior Research Fellowship, December 2008.
- Navani, Manasi Thapliyal (2019). Gender and Higher Education in India: Negotiating equity with access. In D. Neubauer and S. Kaur (eds) Gender and the changing face of higher education in Asia Pacific, 73-88. International Education and Development Education. Cham: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Navani, Manasi Thapliyal (2017). Expanding higher education in India: The challenge for equity. In Graeme Atherton (ed.) Access to higher education: Understanding global inequalities, 109-120. London: Palgrave.
- Thapliyal, Manasi and Chahil, Manoj (2016, August 21). “In New Draft HRD Policy, Modi Government’s Casual Plagiarism Continues”. The Wire. http://thewire.in/60608/hrd-education-policy-case-of-plagiarism/
- Thapliyal, Manasi (2014). Nascent Experiences in E-learning of Neophytes in Research. In R. Mathew, T. Geetha and S. Chennat (eds) E-learning in Teacher Education. Delhi: Department of Education, University of Delhi
- Thapliyal, M. (2010). Book Review, “Jashn-e-Talim: Hoshangabad Vigyan Shikshan ka Safarnama”, Sushil Joshi. Contemporary Education Dialogue,7 (2), pp.257-266.
Seminar / Conferences
- Navani, Manasi Thapliyal (2019, 27 March). “Outcomes-based learning and equitable learning outcomes”. Research Paper presented at the Seminar on Inclusive Pedagogy: Teaching and learning practices in higher education in India, organised by the Centre for Writing and Communications, Ashoka University, Sonepat, 26-27 March 2019.
- Navani, Manasi Thapliyal (2019, 26 February). Becoming Entrepreneurial and Innovative: Contextualizing the debate in Indian Higher Education. Paper presented at the International Webinar on Organised Higher Academics in South Asia: Changing Perspectives, organised by Sarsuna College, University of Calcutta, 25-26 February 2019.
- Navani, Manasi Thapliyal (2018, 15 October). “Vigyan ki prakriti ki samajh aur vigyan shiksha: Kuch vichar aur anubhav (Understanding of Nature of Science and Science Education: Some thoughts and experiences)”. Seminar on विज्ञान और विज्ञान शिक्षा , organised jointly by the Azim Premji University, Bangalore and IISER, Mohali, held at IISER Mohali, 13-15 October 2018.
- Navani, Manasi Thapliyal (2018, 15 July). “Transition to higher education and equitable learning outcomes”. Paper presented at the “National Seminar on Universalisation of Secondary Education”, organized by Council for Social Development (CSD), 15 July 2018, India International Centre, New Delhi.
- Navani, Manasi Thapliyal (2018, 23 February). “Quality assurance as a site of contestations and negotiations: Insights from a Case Study of reforms in a University”. Paper presented at the International Seminar on Quality and Excellence in Higher Education, organised by the National Institute of Educational Planning and Administration (NIEPA) and the British Council, 22-23 February 2018, India Habitat Centre, New Delhi.
- Navani, Manasi Thapliyal and Singh, Praveen (2017, 23 May). “Engaging with Innovation and Entrepreneurship in Indian Higher Education: Experiences and Insights from Ambedkar University Delhi”. Paper presented at the Asia Pacific Higher Education Research Partnership (APHERP) International Symposium on “Dilemma of the Entrepreneurial and Innovative University”, 21-24 May, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China.
- Navani, Manasi Thapliyal (2016, 7 December). “Cartographies of academic reform and higher education in India: Framing resistance as negotiation over the idea of university”. Paper presented at the 9th International Oxford Education Research Symposium, 7-9 December, St Cross College, Oxford.
- Navani, Manasi Thapliyal (2016,19 November). “Framing reforms, reforming frames: Politics of academic reforms and higher education in India”. Paper presented at the International Conference organized by the Comparative Education Society of India, on “Comparative Educational Destinies: Visions, Dilemmas, and Challenges”, 16-19 November, Sri Venkateswara University, Tirupati, India.
- Navani, Manasi Thapliyal (2016, October) “Gender Justice and Campus Life in Universities: A steep road towards gender-fair access to higher education in India”. Paper presented at the “Gender and the Changing Face of Higher Education in Asia Pacific: Asia Pacific Higher Education Research Partnership (APHERP) Senior Seminar” organised by APHERP and the Education University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong.
- Mathew, R., Thapliyal, M. (2012, March) “Diary writing as a tool for professional development”. Second International Conference for English Language Teacher Educators, Hyderabad, 3-5 March 2012.
- Thapliyal, M. (2011, October) “Reflective Practice and Engaged Pedagogies: Signposts from teachers’ lives in schools”. International ELTAI Conference, Delhi, 7-9 October 2011.
- Thapliyal, M. (2010, December) “Nature of Science and Science Education in India”. 34th Indian Social Science Congress, Guwahati, 27-31 December 2010.
- Thapliyal, M. (2008, February) “People Science Movement: Social Transformative Action and Implications for Science Education Research”. National Seminar on Science Education in Schools: Emerging Perspectives, University of Delhi, 15-16 February 2008.
- Special Invitee on the UGC Committee for framing Learning Outcomes based Curricular Framework, April-May 2018.
- Invited as Participant in National Workshop for Policy deliberation on “Engaging with Public Universities in India: Autonomy as an Idea and its Practice”, organised by the National Institute of Educational Planning and Administration (NIEPA), Delhi, March 8-9, 2018.
- Invited for Consultation workshops for Centre for Alternative Education, Sanchi University of Buddhist-Indic Studies, Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh, India, June, 2015.
- Invited for the Workshop on “Equitable Access and Success in Higher Education during first World Congress to Post-secondary Education”, Montreal, Canada, 7-10 October 2013.
- Invited for the Curriculum Development Workshop on “Decolonizing Philosophy of Science Curriculum” organized by Albukhary International University, Kedah, Malaysia, 26-30 March 2012.
- Participated in the Workshop on “Learning from children” conducted by alternative education group, coordinated by K.B. Jinan, Nilambur, Kerala, India, 16-22 May 2011.
- Participated in the “International Forum for Educational Leadership Institute: IFE 2020”. East West Centre, University of Hawaii, organised in collaboration with UNESCO, Bangkok. Suan Dusit Rajabhat University, Bangkok, 13-24 September 2010.
- Participated in the “Fifth Summer Course on Philosophy for Social Sciences and Humanities". Manipal Centre for Philosophy and Humanities, Manipal University, Manipal, 1-15 July.